Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Review: Otterbox Defender for the Samsung Galaxy S7

I picked up the Otterbox Defender for the S7 because the phone by itself felt too slippery. The Otterbox promised to toughen up the phone so it could survive drops as well.

The case comes in 3 pieces, an internal shell that goes directly around the S7, a rubber bumper that goes around that shell, and then a holster. The shell and bumper weigh 81g, and I didn't bother weighing the holster because it was so bulky as to be unusable.

The resultant phone inside the bumper felt very grippy. So much so that when I slid the phone into a pocket, it would grab the sides of the pocket and not go all the way into the pocket! Extracting the phone from a pocket had the same feeling.

The rubber bumper has flaps for USB charging and the headphones, and these are the most solid flaps I've ever seen. They definitely will protect the phone!

The biggest flaw with the case is that the top and bottom lips interfere with the functions of the phone. The top lip prevents you from using the "pull down" gesture to drag down notifications. The bottom lip prevents the finger print reader from registering all the time. I don't know how this could have been prevented --- one possibility is that there's so little bezel space that any lip would have intruded, but without trying a slew of cases there's no way to find out.

Ultimately, I returned the S7, but I'm pretty sure I would have to return it for the gesture interference problems anyway.
Post a Comment