Thursday, May 25, 2017

Review: Becoming a Great Essayist

I started listening to this expecting a lecture series on how to write a great essay. It turns out to be a survey course on great essayists, the taxonomy of essays, and recommendations on further reading.

While the content and change of pace was nice (I'm tired of people telling me how to string together a sentence, and yes, writing is revision), I wasn't particularly inspired by the material. Part of it is that the lecturer still pretends to want to teach you how to write (by providing essay assignments), and part of it is that her definition wasn't very clear.

So along the way, we get various discussions of polemics, the food essay (!!), the comedic essay, the personal reminiscence, and so on and so forth.

In and of itself, the lecture series wasn't bad, but I expected much more from a Great Courses sequence. Not recommended.

Post a Comment