Thursday, March 30, 2017

Review: Playstation 4 Platinum Wireless Headset

I have a 5.1 surround system attached to the Playstation 4, but sometimes, it's just not practical to use it. When Amazon had a lightning sale on the Platinum Wireless Headset, I decided to give it a whirl.

The idea behind the headset is that a proprietary USB dongle plugs into the PS4, which than mixes the sound in such a way as to grant you virtual 7.1 surround sound using just the two speakers clamped to your ear. It sort of works. There's a toggle that lets you turn this on and off, and whenever I turned it on, the audio sounded just a bit more airy. But I'd be damned if I could pinpoint where the sound was coming from --- the sound stage was tiny.

Surprisingly, the USB dongle works on the PC as well, though only in stereo mode. The same applies to the PS3.

What got me to return the product, however, was that the headset does indeed clamp onto your head. After about half an hour, I wanted to take that off. Ultimately, the improvement in audio quality just didn't make up for the cost and discomfort. I switched back to using the Sennheiser PX100 instead at 1/5th the cost.

Post a Comment