Friday, November 18, 2016

Books of the Year 2016

This year I read a total of 59 books, with audio books helping out in a big way, getting me more material to read while my hands can do something else.

This is once again a great year for novels, and there's no question that my favorite book this year was Matterhorn. Intelligent, well-written, a reflection on the politics of large organizations as well as the realities and dysfunction of war, you can read this book so many ways and get something new out of it every time. I highly recommend this book, and think it should be in every person's library.

Coming in next was The Rosie Project, which was a heck of a fun book, and well worth your time. In fact, it makes a great counter-balance to Matterhorn and it's deep heavy themes.

On the non-fiction side, I'd rank Scientific Secrets for Raising Kids Who Thrive as the best non-fiction "book" of the year. It's full of surprising results, and if you're a parent, well worth your time to read and review. On a similar note, Producing Excellence is also great reading, though it's mostly of the cautionary nature, rather than prescriptive. It's difficult to find, so few have read it, which I think is a pity.

I didn't get to too many graphic novels this year. The Sculptor was a good novel, but just falls slightly short of "great."
Post a Comment