Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Review: The Martian Child (Original Novelette)

The Martian Child won both the Hugo and Nebula awards the year it came out, but somehow I didn't notice. It wasn't available at any of my local libraries, so I paid the Kindle price for it and read it in a couple of hours.

It's short, well-written, but is clearly autobiographical. The author, David Gerrold is famous for the Star Trek episode: "The Trouble with Tribbles", but clearly chooses to portray himself as a neurotic artist, rather than a rational computer programmer (which he is apparently able to be). He writes about his decision to adopt, his encounter with his (eventual) adoptee, and the process of adoption itself.

In many ways, I'm disappointed by the novelette. Yes, it's poignant, but there's no deep insight about parenting, no mention of the deep challenges involved. I think I got way more from a 5 minute conversation with one of my college lecturers in passing than from the entire novel.

Not recommended.
Post a Comment