Monday, August 15, 2016

Review: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time

I don't remember how The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time ended up on my Kindle, but my guess is that The Eagle Tree probably prompted someone to recommend me this book.

As with The Eagle Tree, the protagonist of the novel is a high-functioning autism boy who's good with math but no goods with people. The setting is England, which actually makes for a much better setting for such stories than anywhere in the U.S. In countries with readily available public transit systems, it's plausible for a non-driver to get around places if he/she was determined enough and willing to put in the time.

Christopher Boone starts off by investigating why a neighbor's dog died, but in the process uncovers details about his father, his deceased mother, and their relationships with various neighbors that he did not know before. The prose is transparent, easily readable, and moves quickly. At no point does the story bog down, and at no point do you lose interest.

As a short book, it's worth your time. I'm not sure I want to read any more books in this genre, though, so stop giving me those recommendations.

Post a Comment