Monday, May 16, 2016

Review: Bastion (PS Vita)

I picked up Bastion on the PS4, but because of cross-play and cross-buy, ended up playing it most on the PS Vita. If I had to summarize the game, I'd call it "Diablo with cute animations." That's fine. I liked Diablo 3, and it's a fine game, but for whatever reason, I found Bastion not very playable.

For one thing, the main character is balky, and doesn't move very well. You get 3 weapons, a melee weapon, a ranged weapon, and a special skill. Periodically, new weapons are introduced, and you also get a chance to upgrade what weapons you have. Unfortunately, what you do with each weapon really isn't much, and there's not much by way of getting upgrade materials, so I ended the game with heaps of money in the inventory, and not much to upgrade with.

The story was OK, but it's really just an excuse to grind a long. I did not react emotionally to the story, even when a character you're supposed to care about was kidnapped. The denouement didn't do much for me either.

My problem is that after the Witcher 3, I'm afraid I find games that hit a lesser standard to be not really worth the time. I mostly played Bastion during a long trans-pacific flight, and finished it out of a sense of obligation.

Not recommended.

Post a Comment