Monday, November 02, 2015

Review: Year's Best SF 10

I checked out Year's Best SF 10 froom the library prior to a trip, but read it mostly because all the stories in it were new to me. The first three stories, Sergeant Chip, First Commandment and Burning Day were outstanding, but then to my dismay the rest of the collection started wandering into fantasy instead of science fiction (though James Stoddard's The Battle of York was delightful). Then Ken Liu's The Algorithms for Love (爱的算finally provided some good reading, and the last few stories by Robert Reed, Neal Asher, and Brenda Cooper rounded out the collection with some excellent reading.

The collection isn't a waste of time, but I found myself skimming through quite a few lackluster stories or stories out of genre. Worth checking out of the library before a flight, but not worth going out of your way to buy or find.

Post a Comment