Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Review: Excelsteel 18/10 Stainless 4 Non Stick Egg Poacher

I love onsen eggs coming out of the sous vide machine, but unfortunately, I'm the only one in the family who does, and it does take a long time to cook. I remember Xiaoqin liking the poached eggs in the eggs benedict she ordered once, but not the sauce. I do enjoy it as an occasional treat, so I bought the specialized egg poacher on Amazon.

My first impression upon receiving it was how small it was. That's an advantage both in shelf-space, as well as in cooking. The small pan takes relatively little water and boils quickly, getting your eggs poached fast! The transparent cover is great: you get to see your eggs whiten, and then become opaque, letting you know when to remove them.

I like my egg yolks soggy, so a minute or two after they've turned opaque, I use tongs to remove one and then eat it that way. The rest of the family seems to like their yolks much more cooked (or in Bowen's case, with no yolk at all), so I then turn off the heat and let the eggs simmer some more.

Clean up is effortless because everything is non-stick, and extraction from the cups is also easy, once you've seasoned it. The manufacturers recommend non-stock spray, but I just take a stick of butter and swish it around the cups.

The bad: the tray holding the cups is super thin stainless steel. Get even a bit of egg on it and it'll discolor. No change to functionality, but if you're the type who likes their cookware pristine, this won't stay pristine for long. Fortunately, I'm not one of those.


Post a Comment