Saturday, December 20, 2014

Review: The Year's Best Science Fiction & Fantasy 2014

I stopped reading Year's Best story collection a few years back, when being a subscriber to Asimov's would basically net you half the book anyway, so I always felt like I was wasting my money. This year, I tried again, reasoning that my Asimov's subscription had lapsed, and that if I selected Rich Horton instead of Gardner Dozois as the editor I'd get a wildly different selection than I used to, and would get different stories.

I was only partly right. The first half of the book was very good, and the entire collection only includes 3 stories from my current short-fiction magazine, The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (the Extended Edition of this magazine is the only magazine I subscribe to through the Kindle --- the value for money is simply unbeatable!).

The second half of the book, however, dragged down and had many more misses, some of which felt really lame. At $6.99, you're not out a lot of money for this book, but the time spent slogging through some of the stories are better spent elsewhere. Not recommended and disappointing.

Post a Comment