Saturday, December 06, 2014

Review: Injustice: Gods Among Us

I picked up Injustice: Gods Among Us for the Vita during a Sony sale for $4.20. As luck would have it, in January, that's going to be a free game on Playstation Plus.  But that doesn't matter, since recently I was on a flight that gave me enough time to play through the story mode on the game.

Injustice is a fighting game. For me, that usually is a very frustrating genre, since my fingers and reflexes are not what they once were, and even at my best I wasn't very good at them. This was confirmed for me when I had several tries to do some combos during the tutorial and couldn't make many of them consistently. I don't know to what extent that's because the Vita's buttons are tiny, and that I just suck.

Nevertheless, I went into the story mode and to my surprise the game's set not to be frustratingly difficult! In fact, I think I got through about 30% of the game before I felt the need to turn down the difficulty from "medium" to "easy", which is an unusual experience for me.

The story is pretty good for an excuse for superheroes to beat up on each other. It involves parallel dimensions and an out of control Superman who decides to take over the world. To the game's credit, the story mode doesn't provide ridiculous situations such as Batman beating up Superman in hand to hand combat. (You can do that in the classic battle mode) Each character has signature moves and interesting things to do with the environment, and the story is compelling enough to keep me playing and drain most of the Vita's battery on a 6 hour flight, and the next day my thumbs were still sore.

After you're done with the story, there are still additional content that don't have full cut scenes, but still provide a challenge for the player who wants more. After about 3-4 of those missions it got really hard so I stopped. There's also an on-line versus mode. I have not tried the online mode since I was on the plane when playing this game.

The graphics are pretty, and the Vita definitely gets hot while you're playing indicating that the CPU is pushing very hard. While not a purchase for the full price, I'd recommend it at any price below $10 or you could just wait for PS Plus on your Playstation 4 in January.

Post a Comment