Monday, September 29, 2014

Review: Able Brewing Disk for Aeropress

Steve Grimm raved about the Able Brewing Disk for Aeropress, and I liked the idea of  not using disposable paper filters for each cup of coffee, so I ordered it to try.

First of all, the price is $12.50 per disk on Amazon, which means that compared to paper filters, you'd have to brew 1000+ cups of coffee in order to break even. I'm not sure I'm convinced that the disk will withstand that much brewing, but I'm guessing that heavy drinkers will break even in a year. Secondly, while it's true that not using disposable paper filters is a possibility, it depends on you having a nice place to air dry a tiny disk which wouldn't fit on most drying racks and would be super easy to lose otherwise. So I end up having to dry it with paper towels, which defeats the purpose of not using paper.

Finally, there's the taste. I can't tell the difference between paper and stainless steel. So for me, I think I've hit the point of diminishing returns on coffee taste improvements. I'm starting to get skeptical of those who think that grinding your own coffee is awesome for this reason. Anyway, not recommended. Poor ROI.

Post a Comment