Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Review: NewTrent 90C

On the tour of the alps this year, I had 4 devices that regularly needed charging via USB: the Garmin Edge 800, the Nokia 521, the Sony RX100, and the Dell Venue 8 Pro. Add to that my CPAP machine, and I was going to either carry way too many adapters or certain things would simply go uncharged.

The solution: the NewTrent 90C. A high powered dual-USB charger that uses only one power socket but can charge 2 devices at once. Only one of the USB sockets is high powered, so I had to use that one for the tablet, but could easily swap between the others. Since the Edge charged the fastest and was something that was needed nearly every day, we'd first charge that.

The Dell Venue 8 Pro was power hungry, especially since I imported photos every day, so that usually went on the charger whenever I wasn't using it. The phone usually went on the charger only just before retiring to bed, and the camera got a charge whenever I remembered to charge it, which was about every 3 days.

All through the tour, the charger never so much as heated up, no matter what I threw at it. In terms of weight savings for $10, it's probably one of the best bang for the buck you can find on a bike tour.

Recommended.

Post a Comment