Sunday, November 25, 2012

9 Dives that I recommend

My recent trip reminded me that I should list the best dives I've done. I'm not an avid diver, but I've been blessed with having done a bunch of great dives, to the extent that "normal" dives don't feel worth it any more. In order of appearance in my log book:
  1. Fredriksted Pier Dive. A fun, easy dive, that's got lots to see, despite being a pier dive. A great "post-certification" dive.
  2. The Wreck Of the Rhone. A classic, gorgeous wreck, which is so old it's basically an artificial reef. Enjoyable with clear water and lots of history and things to do. Recommend that you do this the first time as a guided dive.
  3. Steve's Bommie. Easily my favorite dive in the Great Barrier Reef. Schools and schools of fish. Just unbeatable.
  4. Exmouth Navy Pier. Like diving in an aquarium. I never saw so many sharks in such a small place.
  5. Cathedral in Bequia. Easily the best drift dive I've ever done. Stunning wildlife.
  6. Felipe Xiotencatl. A still largely intact ship with lots of swim throughs. You get to even sit on a still working commode.
  7. Chac Mool Scuba diving in a cavern. Stalactites, stalagmites. Floating through thermoclines. Spelunking without getting dirty. A heck of a lot of fun. People die doing these things, so go with a guide who knows what they're doing.
  8. The Indians. A beautiful shallow dive that's gorgeous in the morning. Swim throughs and all sorts of delights. Worth repeating.
  9. Manta Ray Night Dive. Worth a trip to Kona for. Enough said.

Of the lot, I'd say that Ningaloo Reef is easily the most over-looked dive area. The snorkeling there is also fantastic, with drift snorkeling being one possibility. Watch out for sun burn though!

Having said all this, if I never dove again I wouldn't mind that much. For me, it's mostly something I do opportunistically (i.e., if I happen to be in the tropics with good diving). I wouldn't go out of my way to plan another dive-oriented trip again.

Post a Comment