Thursday, April 26, 2012

Excellent Customer Service from HP

I bought a HP ZR2740w late last year, and I'd been happily operating on it since then. Until yesterday noon, when the monitor suddenly turned itself off. Unplugging it and plugging it back in didn't work, and neither did pushing the power button repeatedly. It literally just died while on the job.

It took a while to navigate HP's web-site in order to get a phone # to call (and yes, it was past Amazon's return period, and I would have been tempted to return it otherwise), but I eventually got through and talked to a real person. After one transfer, I found myself talking to a competent technician who authorized a repair and told me that a new monitor would get to me in 2-3 business days.

My jaw dropped this morning when my doorbell rang and a replacement monitor showed up from HP. They cleverly just shipped the panel, so I can just reuse my base, cables, etc. This was total customer satisfaction: replacement sent and arrived in less than 24 hours, complete with a UPS return tag. In other words, HP footed the bill for the return both ways, and there was no need for me to ship them the old monitor first so they could verify that it was well and truly broken.

All in all, you should have as good a product as possible, but everybody makes mistakes, and what's important was that HP corrected theirs quickly and with no fuss, unlike my experience replacing a Mac. We will see how this replacement monitor lasts.
Post a Comment