Friday, March 09, 2012

Review: Logitech C270 Webcam

We recently had to do a few video calls with people we were planning to exchange homes with. Rather than make do with the crappy 1.3MP camera that came on the Lenovo X201, I picked up a Logitech C270 at a Logitech scratch and dent sale.

I've had poor experiences with some Logitech webcams in the past, mainly from balky software that never seemed to install correctly. I was relieved to see that most of this has been resolved: the camera sits happily on top of the monitor, plugs into a USB port, and the logitech drivers seem to integrate nicely with Google chat and Skype.

The picture quality is great! By contrast, I could always tell when I was skyping with somebody who was only on an iPhone, or some other crappy laptop built-in webcam. The face follow feature seems to work, but I mostly turn it off because usually when we're skyping with another family, it's a multi-face affair. Perhaps if I was a Google Hangouts addict I would turn on the face follow feature.

Given the low price and the great picture quality, I'm pleased with it and can recommend it. Even voice seems to work well despite how far the camera is from my face when I talk.
Post a Comment