Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Review: Girl Genius Omnibus 1

Girl Genius has won the Hugo for best comic several years running. While they have everything on the web, it's much faster to read comic books on paper, so when my local library had the book I picked it up.

Humor is tricky. For instance, some people find fart jokes funny, others not so much. Some find zany characters like Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma 1/2 to be great, I personally characterize it as: "her idea of character development is to add more characters."

Unfortunately for me, Girl Genius falls into the latter category. The philosophy is to just keep adding more characters in the hopes that you'll find something funny somewhere. You could approach Girl Genius as a serious story, but that doesn't work very well either. The plots are unbelievable, and while there's a long running plot, most of the time you get just one gag after another, without a lot of plot exposition. There're also plenty of digressions that seemingly add nothing to the story. I say seemingly, because of course something might turn out to be relevant a few books later, but I haven't got the patience (nor do I necessarily want to spend the money) to run out and buy the books or click through the web pages just in case there's a pay off in the future.

All in all, if you like Ranma 1/2 or love lots of gags, this is the comic for you. For everyone else, I'd suggest paging through the first few pages to see if it grabs you.
Post a Comment