Monday, May 02, 2011

Mt Tam Wilflower Hike

 
Posted by Picasa

Yoyo Zhou, Tracy Ng, and I got to the Mountain Inn trailhead at 8:40am, and got started almost right away on the hike. The goal for me was to do an extra long hike on what was promised to be a beautiful spring day, 80F weather, and long clear views. Those clear views became apparent almost right away.
From Mt Tam State Park May 2011

The hope was to see some Spring wildflowers. I don't know if we were too early or too late, but the hoped for wild expanses of flowers along hillsides did not materialize. We did see lots of flowers here and there in the shade and in the trees though.
From Mt Tam State Park May 2011
From Mt Tam State Park May 2011

The hope was to do the entirety of the Dipsea trail, but because of the heavy rains, mudslides had washed out part of the trail, and wiped out an entire bridge, forcing us to detour alongside a road in places, which did not look like it was in any better a shape.
From Mt Tam State Park May 2011

I had not done the southern section of the Dipsea trail before, and I'm glad I finally got around to it. We had glorious views of San Francisco and the Environment:
From Mt Tam State Park May 2011
From Mt Tam State Park May 2011

Finally, as we approached Stintson beach, we got fields of poppies and wildflowers as promised.
From Mt Tam State Park May 2011

Returning via the Matt Davis trail, we got shaded hiking through most of the climb, and then emerged into the hills once again for long views of the bay, and a couple of rangers toting a chainsaw:
From Mt Tam State Park May 2011

The southern portion of the Matt Davis trail yielded beautiful views of Oakland, Angel Island, and Treasure Island. I'd never seen this section either, and the number of sailboats dotting the Bay gladdened my heart.
From Mt Tam State Park May 2011

By the time we got back to the car, my Garmin read 15.9miles while Yoyo's read 16.1 miles. I had auto-stop on and he didn't, and I think that made the difference. A gorgeous hike with the same amount of distance as half dome and slightly less elevation gain but much better scenery. Highly recommended.
Post a Comment