Monday, August 23, 2010

Review: The Big Bang Theory Season Two

For whatever reason, the library delivered my copy of The Big Bang Theory Season 2 super fast. Season 2 is much more of a mixed bag than Season 1 was.

The in-jokes are still funny, and everything's still pretty accurate. And come on, a TV show that has George Smoot as a guest star can't be all that bad. The various episodes range in themes, from parental approval/disapproval of their geeky children, to on-line gaming addiction. My big problem with the series is that it suffers from episodic amnesia, which I suppose is what people expect from a sitcom. There is continuity in that references to the idiosyncrasies of various characters get made over time, but by and large, each episode stands on its own.

One semi-tragic element of the show is that one of the characters, Dr. Sheldon Cooper, displays nearly every symptom of Asperger's Syndrome. It's all played for laughs, but I wonder why none of the other characters ever point it out. I guess it would make the show less funny.

In any case, I'll check out the third season from the library when it comes out, so this show still comes recommended.
Post a Comment