Tuesday, August 31, 2010

2nd Printing of Engineer's Guide to Silicon Valley Startups Sold Out

The second printing of An Engineer's Guide to Silicon Valley Startups just sold out this week. Fortunately, I anticipated this a while back and ordered a third printing, which showed up on time so there's no interruption in sales (unlike the previous time). It's only been about 6 months since I started shipping this book, but even so I can already see the huge impact e-books are having on the market. When I first started shipping books, most of my sales were paper copies. By the end of May, half my sales were electronic and the other half were paper. At this point, I'm selling 3 electronic copies for every paper copy of the book that's shipped!

Unlike a traditional publisher, however, I am delighted by this turn of events. As described earlier, I've set up my pricing so that I am indifferent to paper sales or electronic sales: I make pretty much the same amount of profit for either. E-books take up no inventory, suffer no shipping costs, and can be revised instantly. If this trend keeps up, this printing ought to last me for at least 6 months.

I am very grateful to every one of you who's made this book a success (by self-publishing standards). I hope my next book does as well.
Post a Comment