Saturday, January 23, 2010

Review: Nyko Blu Wave Remote

The PS3, as previously mentioned, makes a fantastic blu-ray and DVD player. However, it does have one flaw, which is that it can only be controlled with blue-tooth. This is not a problem if all you're doing is playing games, but when watching a DVD or a blu-ray movie, the PS3 controller would go into sleep mode after a period of inactivity, then when you need to pause, you're frantically pushing the PS button on the controller, waiting for it to re-register, and then pushing pause. This was not very conducive, and also had the disadvantage that I had to have 2 controllers in my hand, the universal remote and the PS3 controller. I could buy the Sony PS3 blu-ray remote, but then I'd still have to have 2 remotes around.

The Nyko Remote is a USB dongle with an infra-red port that comes with an infra-red remote. Since my universal remote was fully programmable, the first thing I did when I unpacked it was to program my universal remote with all the functions of the Nkyo, and then keep that remote boxed up. The remote is missing two functions, an Eject Button, and a Power on button. Given that every time I have to play a disc, I have to walk over to the PS3 and stick it into the device anyway, this is no big deal. Once the PS3 is turned on, I can navigate to the eject and power off screen functions using the remote just fine, so ejecting the disc and turning off the device is no big deal.

So now I have one device that controls all the functions of my entertainment system. The only real downside as far as I can see is that now I only have one slot on my PS3 free for charging controllers. Until Lisa decides that PS3 games are fun enough for her, I don't see this as a big deal --- I haven't even bought a second controller yet!

Needless to say, the Nkyo remote is highly recommended at the $12 Amazon.com price.
Post a Comment