Thursday, June 04, 2009

Tour of Hokkaido Solicitation Letter

My doctor has said that I will be done with my thrice weekly physical therapy sessions by the end of July, and I might even not be fat and out of shape then, so it's time to start thinking about a tour. The Yen is not expensive right now, and apparently, neither are plane tickets to Hokkaido or Narita Tokyo.

If you don't know what a Piaw trip is like, visit http://touring.piaw.net.

I expect Japan to be easier than previous trips (I'm not in stellar shape) physically, but challenging both culturally and mentally --- my Japanese is really rusty, I've never been to Japan before, and worse, I'm Chinese so I look like the Japanese to the Japanese and they'll be shocked that I'm not. :-) Nevertheless, who knows how long the Yen
will stay (relatively) cheap.

The idea would be to fly or somehow make it to Hokkaido, which is supposedly the place to go for cycling. Japanese drivers are supposedly really polite, and because of their economic stagnation for the last 10 years, they have really good roads that are rarely used. The proposed dates are: August 22nd to September 13th (I could move it forward or back by a week or so).

If you're interested, let me know, and we'll make sure to ride together so we're compatible (similar pace, ability to handle unexpected things like unpaved roads or destroyed tire levers), and make an exciting trip out of it.
Post a Comment