Sunday, June 29, 2008

Review: Battlestar Galactica

As mentioned before, I'm a big fan of the remade Battlestar Galactica, easily the best science fiction TV series I've ever watched (at least, Season One and Two tops any single season of Buffy in my book). I was eying the novelization of the mini-series, but seriously didn't think that a novelization would add anything to the brilliant piece of work by Ron Moore.

Of course, the very next week, Tor Books released the Kindle edition for free (HTML for the kindle-deficient), so I jumped on it and read it in a couple of days.

I was unfortunately correct, it's not worth the money (or the time, which is probably better spent watching the mini-series again). I do read faster than I can watch TV, so if you're watching say, the first episode of season one but then gave up because you didn't understand what had gone before, I can see picking up the novelization as quick catch up. But all the good parts of the TV show is lost. Ron Moore's use of negative spaces, dramatic interrupts, and the astoundingly good acting (especially for a SciFi channel show) are all gone, and that which remains is a pale shadow of the TV show. You do pick up a few background details here and there that you might have missed, but by and large, Carver did not add anything to the show. The other big deal is that while the TV show could show how the characters learned and developed, the novel tried telling you that.

I think I would have been better served by a published teleplay of the mini series than by a novelization. Not recommended.
Post a Comment