Saturday, June 14, 2008

Lufthansa Misplaced my Tandem

For whatever reason, when we arrived in Munich, the tandem did not show up. Direct flights are definitely the way to go if you're going to fly with a bike and expect it to show up on the other side. A bunch of snafus kept them from delivering it today --- first, they were unable to call my cell phone (a US number), then when I called to ask them to deliver it, they seemed unwilling to do so. I eventually was given the number to the delivery service that Lufthansa uses, and got them to schedule a delivery time tomorrow. Why they wouldn't just schedule one for us today is beyond me. Good thing we're not planning on any serious riding --- I'd be hopping mad if I was.

Last year, the same thing happened in Zurich, and again, Lufthansa gave us the run-around. We eventually decided to just head over to the airport to pick up the bikes, because it was just too much to burn vacation time waiting for them to get around to delivering. It's one thing to do this for an essentially free service, but it's another when they're charging incredible excess luggage fees ($127). Of course, the real fear is what all this extra transition is going to do to the bike. Fortunately, Santana bike boxes are very sturdy, and by getting it delivered to the apartment there's a chance I might get to reuse the box.
Post a Comment