Saturday, March 29, 2008

Review: A Feast for Crows

A Feast for Crows is the most recent of George R. R. Martin's as yet incomplete Song of Fire and Ice series.

When I first started reading the series several years ago, it was wonderful. The characters were real and intriguing, and it seemed as though on every page, something was happening. It did irritate me that he made use of the cliff-hanger too often, ending a chapter at a particularly interesting moment and then starting the next chapter from a completely different character's perspective.

This latest book, however, is a disappointment. For one thing, not all that much happens. There is a main thread, which is Queen Cersei managing to make a hash of things as the regent for the Kingdom, but everyone else was more or less treading water. The characters did not get very much development, and the cliff-hanger of the previous book did not get resolved or even moved forward! It took me more than 2 weeks to get through this book, and I'm not sure I got very much for my money (and I did not pay money for this book).

Not recommended. I'm afraid that Mr. Martin is going to go the way of Robert Jordan, who turned what was going to be a 7 novel series into one that was so drawn out (by lots of novels where nothing happened) that he died before finishing the series. I guess I will give his next few novels a pass as well.
Post a Comment