Tuesday, March 11, 2008

FrankenBike is done!

Two weekends ago, my brother, me, and Pardo got together and built up my "light" bike. Its a bike hobbled together from various parts lying around, and some pieces that I had to buy brand new. As my brother upgraded to a Custom Ti bike, he had his old Fuji Team SL stripped and then gave me the frame.

The parts on this bike:

Frame: Fuji Team SL
Cranks: FSA Carbon Pro Elite Compact Road Crank (50/34)
Pedals: Shimano SPDs
Front Dérailleur: Shimano 105
Rear Dérailleur: Shimano Ultegra
Freewheel: Shimano 5sp freewheel 14/17/20/24/28
Handle Bars: FSA Wing Pro
Seatpost: Thomson Elite Setback Seat Post
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Shifters: Rivendell Silver Shifters Bar end

All in all, its a bit of a confused bike. On the one hand its an aluminum frame with carbon forks, and carbon cranks, then you have the FSA wing pro handlebar that's capped by bar end shifters instead of brifters. Then you have the 5 speed freewheel at the rear, coupled with the Shimano 105 front dérailleur...

All in all, the bike cost about 600 bucks (frame not withstanding) to put together, and it weighs in at 20 lbs. About 20 lbs lighter than my commuting bike. I've already put 60 miles on it, and my commute to work was about 10 minutes faster than on my regular commuter bike. This isn't particularly news to me though, as I always noticed my brother on the same frame was 3 miles per hour faster than on his heavy heron.

Its a fast fast sexy bike. =) Just a bit confused though.

And of course, some pictures.

Post a Comment