Sunday, January 06, 2008

2007 Books of the Year

Overall, the book of the year has got to be The Conscience of A Liberal by Paul Krugman. Well written, this book shines the light on the society we have today, how it came about, and why it is changing. It is an important book, and I consider it required reading if you consider yourself a progressive or liberal. Another book that's very much worth reading is Dani Rodrik's One Economics, Many Recipes. It's dense and highly technical, but it really shows how bankrupt the Washington consensus is.

On the fiction side, the best find this year was Bill Willingham's Fables, a delightful twist on fairy tales and very well done. I consider it the best piece of fiction I read this year.

For those who don't consider books with pictures real books (in which case I feel sorry for you --- you're just missing out on a lot of really good fiction), I consider Glasshouse and Acacia both competitors for the runner-up spot.

The best new author I found this year was John Scalzi. Witty, entertaining, and always enjoyable, I can't wait for his next book. His novels might never be deep, but they're always worth reading. If I was getting on a plane and saw a new Scalzi novel at the airport, I would just buy it.

Finally, I'll be remiss if I didn't mention Gary Erickson's Raising the Bar. I personally love love love this book. If you're a cycle tourist, you must own a copy. It's that good.
Post a Comment