I doubt if I'll replace it with another ipod, when an 8GB Sansa can be had for $115. It's probably not worth repairing, either, since a replacement disk would cost around $130.
Here are my requirements:
- Long enough battery life for a flight to Zurich (about 10 hours or so, call it 15 hours to be safe)
- Must play MP3s (I don't have music in any other format, so I'm not locked into the iPod economy)
- Light enough to carry on bike trips.
- Good sound quality.
- Enough music for a 3 week bike trip.
- Tough. I will use this on hikes, and being carried in saddlebags is not good for most electronics.
- Games. If I want games, I'll get a dedicated game machine.
- Video. Most players don't have enough storage for a decent amount of video. Those that do, don't have screens that I consider satisfactory.
- Solo hikes, about once a week or so.
- Feeding the home stereo, 3 days a week.
- Planes: Twice a year
- Long trips (about 3 weeks each), possibly disconnected from civilization, about twice a year, but with increasing frequency.