Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Edward Scissorhands Musical Review

I watched this musical this past Sunday. The review will be from someone who's never seen the film version of Edwards Scissorhands, so please take that into account when reading it.

First of all, the musical is not really a musical in the sense of something like The Sound of Music or Chicago. Its a dance musical, which I'll say does not really appeal to me much. As I'm really more a fan of the word, be it spoken or written, art through music and dance alone just did not appeal very much to me.

The musical was about 2 hours long, with one intermission halfway through, and takes us through the story that most will find familiar if they've watched the movie. Even though I've never seen the movie, and there were no words, I had no problems following the story and the moods and progressions that the musical takes.

The sets were very well constructed, and the play makes judicious use of special effects and layering of sets to get its intended effects. Its one of the most special effect heavy musical I've seen, and part of that is due to the lack of dialouge I believe.

The music was very well done. Its nothing new if you've seen the movie, but even then, to hear it live and competently performed would make it new to any fans of the original Danny Elfman tracks.

The dancers and cheography was also quite competent. The fluidity and movements of both individuals and groups were quite good to my unpracticed eye, but neither was it particularly joyful to behold I thought. Again, I'm not a fan of dance musicals, so I can't really compare it to anything else.

All in all, I beleived it was quite a competently done dance musical. It doesn't break any new ground and it really is mostly a fan-service to fans of the movie. Anyone who's never seen it won't be lost, but they probably would not appreciate it as much either. Definitely people who don't appreciate dance musicals should stay away.

Overall, a 6.5 in my books. I wouldn't pay full price to see it, but at half price, it wasn't a terrible deal.
Post a Comment