Thursday, September 07, 2006

The Economist does an about face

The Economist used to be a climate skeptic, gleefully publishing article after article claiming that of all the good things you can do with money, everything else (disease, famine, healthcare, AIDs, etc) was much more important than climate change. This obviously lopsided stance (along with its ridiculously indefensible support of George Bush) prompted me to stop renewing my subscription.

In the latest issue, it appears as though this magazine has done an about face. Suddenly, the climate crisis is worthy of attention and the evidence supporting it is now worth publishing in its august pages. It might very well be too late.

I'm hoping that this turnabout signals the gradual realization amongst the wealthy class that if the planet becomes uninhabitable for human beings, it's not going to matter how many billions of dollars you have --- you'll be just as dead. But I'm not holding my breath.
Post a Comment