Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Shimano's new generator hub is dreamy

How do I describe it. It's got that smooth, slightly pulsing feel at low speed, but what I'm really impressed by is how quiet it is when rolling with the lights on. I've used generator lights before, but mostly bottle generators, and they all make this little whine when spinning up. I had no idea how much of an impact that had on me psychologically! Even though resistance is higher when the light is turned on, with the generator hub I don't feel like it's slowing me down at all! (It costs about 1kph or so at most)

I have a nite rider light that's brighter at 6w, but the Shimano generator with the Lumotec light is more than bright enough, and doesn't burn out a $45 battery every year. So at $90, after 2 years it pays for itself (if I was willing to live with a 32h hub, I could have paid $60, but I had 36h rims sitting around and didn't want to stock more rims). There's also something nice about never having to plug it in, never having to charge it, and being able to just always leave it on the bike.
Post a Comment